How to use Chrome Remote Desktop Extension
The supported operating systems by Chrome Remote Desktop are Windows, Mac, and Linux. This extension can act as a great alternative to Team Viewer and VNC.
- Get the Chrome Remote Desktop extension for your Chrome web browser.
- To do so, you need to be signed into your Google Account.
- From Chrome App Store , find the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
- Find the Add to Chrome button on the top right corner and click on it.
Launch the Chrome Remote Desktop
- Once the app has been installed, you’ll see the Add to Chrome button has changed to Launch App button. You can alternatively type the URL chrome://apps/ in your address bar and find the installed Chrome apps.
- Click on the Chrome Remote Desktop icon and the app will be launched. It’ll again ask for a confirmation, followed by Gmail permissions.
- You’ll notice two ways to use this Chrome app — for user-to-user screen sharing and accessing your own computer remotely. While the first option is used to allow someone else to access your PC, the second option is for accessing your computer from anywhere.
Remote Assistance for user-to-user screen sharing
the first option can be used to connect one user to the PC of another user by using a Chrome web browser. To share your screen, click the Get Started button under the Remote Assistant tab. Now click on the Share button if you wish to share your screen.
This will be followed by the display of the Access Code that’ll be used for sharing the computer. You need to enter this code on the computer that’s supposed to access your computer. To do so, Chrome Remote Desktop must be installed on the other computer and one needs to click on the Access button under the Remote Assistant option.
The code is entered and a connection is established, you’ll see a notification with the email id of the user who has the access. You can stop sharing anytime you want with a single click.
Accessing your computer remotely
- using the second option you can access your own computer from anywhere. To test this feature, I installed a Chrome Remote Desktop application on my Android phone and accessed my computer remotely.
- To get started with remotely accessing your computer, you need to click on the Get Started button under My Computers option.
- you’ll see a new option named Enable Remote Connections. Click on it to proceed.
- This step will prompt Chrome to download the Chrome Remote Desktop Host Installer. After the download finishes, you need to install this application by following a simple application.
- Now you’ll be prompted to create a PIN that you’ll need to access your computer from a remote location.
- Followed by another prompt that’ll ask you for the PIN. After entering the PIN, remote access will be enabled.
- using the Chrome Remote Desktop app on another PC or smartphone, you can easily access your own computer. To disable the remote access, you simply need to click on the Stop Sharing button.
Did you find this Chrome Remote Desktop tutorial for remotely accessing your computer helpful? Don’t leave a comment … Thanks