How to Create your Google AdSense unit ?
Once your Google AdSense account is approved, you will get access to all options within it that were previously greyed out. It is time to create a new ad unit!
An ad unit is a set of ads displayed as a result of one piece of the AdSense ad code. To create the ad unit follow the steps below:
- Log into Google AdSense account and go to My ads > Content > Ad units tab and click New ad unit
- Give your ad unit a descriptive name that will help you find it later
- Choose the size of the ad in the Ad size section. You can check the examples of ads provided by Google to help you make the choice
- In our example, we have chosen Responsive size for the ads, since they automatically adjust their size, appearance, and format to fit into any available ad space.
The next step is to select which type of ads you would like to show on your website.
- Use the Ad type drop-down for that.
- Text ads are the links with some additional description.
- Image ads can be plain or animated images that are proven to pay significantly more. We have chosen Text & Display ads in our example.
- There are other types of ads: rich media, flash, video, animated image, audio, link units. More information on different ad types can be found here.
- You may also apply an ad style for your ads if you wish to use your site’s color scheme.
- The custom channel menu allows you to set up a custom channel to track your ad unit. It is optional though.
- In the Backup ads section you can specify what you want to show in your ad unit if Google has no targeted ads available.
- Click Save and get a code. In the Ad code box that opens, copy the Google AdSense ad code.
Adding AdSense unit to your website
Once you’ve copied the ad code from your AdSense account, the next step is to paste it in your website’s source code. The same steps apply when adding AdSense to sites hosted on EasyWP.
It is possible to insert the ads into some specific pages or posts, sidebars, headers, and footers of the site. In this tutorial, we will show you how to paste the code into the right sidebar:
- Log into your WordPress dashboard and go to Appearance > Widgets.
- Choose the Text widget in the list of available widgets and drag & drop it into the Blog Sidebar area.
- Switch to the Text tab in the Text widget area and paste the ad unit code copied from the Google AdSense account. Save the changes.
If you have more questions about Google AdSense program, you may visit their Help Center and check the policies.